Christmas 2011 move

To start 2012, we moved the boat from the shop in Newark, CA that’s been home for over a decade. Rent on the Santa Rosa, CA shop began 1/1/12, with resolutions made to get the beams built this year. At this point, the floats are complete and finish painted. The main hull is complete, with the fore-cabin and main saloon furniture mostly built. Galley, head, rear cabin, propulsion, steering, dagger, rudder, main hatches, electrical and plumbing all yet to be started.

Loaded by 9am on a Landoll tilt bed trailer

starboard float safety check at Richmond Bridge toll plaza, 8 hours after moving main hull

3 hulls safely tucked in to the new shop the next morning after moving the port float

Recent Posts

Back to the back yard

Today we wheeled the orange boat into the garage, to keep it out of the way for this weekend’s retaining wall build. Haven’t done much more on that boat – just the start of plugging the outdrive hole.

I think I’m stalled because, shockingly, I can’t find any epoxy around the joint. Time for a Svendsen’s order tomorrow.

This afternoon was to be the final run to the rice farm with the five boat situation. The guy for the LoneStar didn’t show! So I had to leave the red/white Coronado 15 up there, and towed the LoneStar home where it’ll be easier to ‘rehome’. Tell me if you think the ad is compelling enough:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa/d/novato-78-chrysler-lone-star-ls-16/7156648239.html

But now the boats need to sit a few days, and we got yard work a’ callin.

While at Tractor Supply picking up those 16’ cattle panels to make the retaining wall cages, I got to looking at the livestock tanks… we planned to make fancy raised bed veggie boxes for a decent kitchen garden. But after drawing it up, I was seeing days of work and many hundreds of materials bucks. Turns out we both like this easy fix.

We fit 6 big tanks in that trip and got started on laying out irrigation pipe. Will button that up tomorrow.

It took three days to build the gabion wall rock cages. They’re all hog-ringed together. (Technically Shoat Rings). We bought 1600lbs of rip rap with the pickup early in the week and made the first small section to test the materials. It’s a winner.

Sadly, on a DIY budget, one faces the reality of what 46,140lbs of rocks really looks like. I calculated we need somewhere around 35 cubic yards of rock for all these walls. Was not thrilled when the Shamrock Materials dispatch guy said, “oh that’s about 70 tons, and $3,500. You know those aren’t easy to work with, right? I can’t guarantee the quarry will hit the 6-12” target.”

We’ve hired three men to come help on Saturday. We have to hand-place the jigsaw puzzle of the front facing. Then you can dump the rest behind. Tedious work. Standing in a cage. And forcast is for mid 90’s. What an idiot. All so we can get this done so there’s time to go sailing again. I can hear Ravenswing calling. But there’s a storm spinning in the Pacific west of Cabo. Geez.

  1. Out with the old 4 Replies
  2. Finding homes for old boats 2 Replies
  3. FINALLY, a boat posting! 2 Replies
  4. Shed shenanigans 1 Reply
  5. Momma, there’s some hillbillie in the driveway! Leave a reply
  6. Boat relaxes in MX, humans toil in CA Leave a reply
  7. Gates are coming along well 1 Reply
  8. Puerto Backyarda 5 Replies
  9. An appeal from quarantine 2 Replies