On the mend

Like so many neighbors, we were wading through too much bad news in October. Santa Rosa firestorm came within 1.5miles of our house just after we finished the $150k+ insurance repair. We were spared but so many friends and acquaintances lost their homes. Living through large insurance claims is a surreal thing that many people never have to experience. Not fun :(. So it was especially relieving to hear from Geico last week that Ravenswing’s dismasting insurance claim settlement has been approved. We’re in process of spec’ing out the new carbon fiber mast build. More info to come once that contract is finalized. 

The boat has not been weighed yet, and that figure is needed to finalize the mast fiber layup schedule. We know the boat buoyancy figures can exert over 108,000 lb ft of pressure, but knowing the weight helps verify the necessary strength calculations. We also got approved to do the topsides repairs with the boat hauled out, because I can see some paint damage down at the waterline where the mast was rubbing against the hull for the hour before we got everything out of the water (on the breakage day). We were cleared to use the KKMI yard just a mile away from our marina, but the MOD70′ racing tri Orion was hauled before us using a special, very expensive rental crane. Orion has usurped the yard and the manager said last week, “it’ll be here through the winter so we will get to you in the spring”  Crap, need to find another solution and we’re too wide for any of the Bay Area travelifts. Big thanks to KKMI owner Ken Keefe for recommending Spaulding Boat Works in Sausalito because they have a big old fixed base crane.  We went to their office on Thursday and got an appointment for Monday! Scheduling gods decided to smile on us. We’re supposed to lift the boat at 10:30am Nov6, for any locals who want to watch RW swing through the sky. 

While the yard does the insurance repair work, we can tackle jobs including shimming out the dagger board case for a tighter fit, changing the orientation of the escape hatch, changing the boot stripe, motor maintenance, and hopefully getting some raven graphics onto the float hull topsides. 

This weekend we’re finally back to systems improvement projects. First up is moving the grey water plumbing tank and some water line rerouting. Then we’ll get the parts on order for controlling the lithium ion battery pack. I know some readers are anxious for those details, but I’m not there yet. Soon…

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “On the mend

  1. Glad you found an alternative lifting/weighing option, sooner we can get an accurate number the better so Ted can get to work finalizing the fiber content. Need to add in any equipment, sails, stores, fluids, tools, serious cruising gear – everything – and location if far from the C.G. for a “heavy ship” number – no more broken masts for Greg! Away in Croatia until the 12th,

  2. Hi Gregg and Jim Thank you for the up date and good luck with the new mast installation and the other needy repairs required for the boat.
    All the best ,hope all goes well with the load calculations. Measure twice and cut once ,just to be sure!!,,,,
    Saludos mi amigos
    Bill.

  3. Gregg,
    Glad the fires didn’t reach you. After the other bits of bad luck I thought “Oh no that black cloud can’t be still following them.”
    You’ll really be readly for the 2018 BaHa HaHa. Keep the post coming we enjoy them.
    Chuck & Kathy Sears

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s