Shiny bits

Today was a trip to the east bay to pick up the self-steering vane from ScanMar in Richmond. The wind vane component will get mounted atop a new arch at the back of the boat, and the white cables in the photo here are what connect the pendulum vane to a trim tab on the back of the rudder. I didn’t photo enough of the air vane at the top to get a complete picture, but this is just the start of this story.

20140527-230956.jpg

20140527-231011.jpg
In the second photo, see the stainless rod that serves as the hinge pin for the trim tab. On this display model, everything is external and not particularly hydro-dynamic high performance. So the next stop today was a visit to the design studio of Jim Antrim with our rudder in hand. He will draw up a recommendation for cutting the rudder to make part of the trailing edge the trim tab. Rick Holway will be glad to know that Jim designed a similar modification to the big local tri Defiance’s rudder; it was exciting to have him pull up those build plans on his computer today. That project was tricky as the control rods had to run up through the rudder post (because it’s under-the-boat rudder) Ours won’t be that intricate because it’s external, but we still have considerable work to build internal bearings and a carbon hinge running from top to bottom. Lots more to come on this topic over the next month.

And here was a very satisfying spend at the Oakland boat show. With the myriad choices out there for sailing hardware, I decided to (1) go with stainless steel to match our shiny Anderson winches and (2) buy local. The Garhauer company in Upland, CA were original suppliers to Corsair, and F27 Origami still has most of her 23yr old Garhauer gear working well. This is a family business doing their own manufacturing, and I spent an hour in their boat show booth picking out this loot:

20140527-232806.jpg
This is most of the sail handling gear, plus the anchor roller and the solid stainless steel forestay chainplate. The rest will come from Colligo, in conjunction with all the synthetic standing rigging (no wires).
It’s fun to see how big this stuff is compared to our prior boats. The jib cars are the size of decent hamburgers! And that’s a big size 52 winch in the photo.

20140527-233707.jpg

Almost ready to show you final photos of the daggerboard and hull-side net lashings, but there’s still just a bit more filling and sanding to do. Apparently the entire Memorial Day weekend wasn’t enough :)

Advertisements

Breaking radio silence

005 is back on the airwaves tonight after a busy month outside the boat shop. Some family health issues and the builder’s pursuit of the legal tender cut the boat hours way back. But now Mom’s leg is healing and the contract work with a friend’s company is sorted out. We need encouraging thoughts beamed towards Ontario, Canada on Tuesday morning as Stephen Marcoe pulls a Formula 30 cat on its trailer to the shop where our mast sits waiting near Toronto. Hoping to get two masts on the trailer that’s only expecting one, and get that long drive west started right away. It’s been two years of snafus in getting this 50′ stick “out of the mud” and I’m very anxious to show you photographic proof it’s been matched up to its boat in California! Stay tuned.

The daggerboard glassing and fairing has been attacked in little windows between trips to the hospital, etc. The whole project isn’t taking too many hours (maybe 30 ish?) but it’s going to be two months on the calendar this spring. One side is all ready for paint:

20140519-235238.jpg
And the other got a thick layer of fairing compound just after this photo. Finished board seems to be about 100 lbs. I can JUST flip it over and move it around the shop alone.

Another small steps project done is the mounting base for the bow sprit pole. Again, we take a perfectly nice boat hull and put two nasty cuts right out front.

20140519-235852.jpg

Before those cuts comes the molding-on of glass to make this bow cap. Mold release helped the unit pop right off when dried.

20140520-000132.jpg

20140520-000156.jpg
Here are the three fabricated parts ready to install…

20140520-000259.jpg
And with the slices in the cap, a potential Halloween costume.

20140520-000348.jpg

The cap got cemented on and the tangs glassed inside the bow forward chamber. Will get some shots during fairing, but this should be a great anchor point for the screacher/Drifter.

Today’s work (and recent past) is fairing in the net lashing tubes along the hull. Andy Miller warned this is tricky, and I hope these come out much better than the metal eye straps screwed in everywhere on older boats.
We’ll get photos when it all looks decent.

And wait till you see all the boat jewels acquired at the Garhauer booth inside the Oakland boat show. Spent an hour in there and came out with the entire package of sailing hardware. Two grand in stainless steel, strong and nicely paired with the 5 big Anderson winches awaiting their mounts. Gotta fair and paint prep first!